The path to get into GP training can be varied but there are a few things along the way that you might like to know that could help.
Foundation yearThere are a number of GP posts in FY2 and although not essential are very beneficial to try and negotiate.
GP Taster WeekIf you have been unable to secure an FY job in GP organising a GP taster week if definitely worthwhile. This will give you a flavour of a typical week in general practice. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|Advert Appears||01 November 2014|
|Apply from||11 November 2014|
|Closing Date||04 December 2014|
|Invitations to Stage 2 Assessment Expected||No later than 22 December 2014|
|Stage 2 Assessment (Computer Based Test)||03-10 January 2015|
|Invitations to Stage 3 (Interview) Expected||No later than 21 January 2015|
|Stage 3 Selection Centre Window||2-13 february 2015|
|Offers from||23 February 2015|
|Hold Deadline||19 March 2015 (13.00 UK Time)|
|Upgrade Deadline||26 March 2015 (17.00 UK Time)|
|Hierarchy Deadline||31 March 2015 (17.00 UK Time)|
- There are plenty of resources out there to help you prepare for GPST Recruitment.
Exams during TrainingThere are no exams required prior to applying
There are 3 elements to the examination process
- AKT –Applied Knowledge Test (ie an MCQ usually taken in year 2 of training)
- CSA- Clinical Skills Assessment (an OSCE type exam held in London in year 3 with 13 patient consultations)
- WPBA- Work Place Based Assessment (an assessment made by your GP Educational Supervisor in your GP training practice) based on an eportfolio.
- National recruitment Office- to get more detailed info on the assessment centre and the application process
- Royal College of General Practitioners- more info on the exam process
- Scottish Medical Training
- NHS Education Scotland GP Training